The Garden

Click on the names on the image map below or the links on the right hand side to view information and photographs of that particular area of the garden, to see more images of the garden click here

The solid Lead statue originally called Shylock which stands in the centre of a Yew hedged lawn is now thought to be ?Pantalone?, a name referring to the breeches he wears and the origins of the English word Pantaloons, he is thought to be missing a woode Old shrub beds created problems with replant disease so this area has recently been replanted with modern repeat flowering roses. The sunken garden looks at its best in mid summer when the Lavender hedge is also in full bloom. This rough area of grass is managed to encourage wild flowers, Cowslips, Oxslips and Primroses can be seen in spring, they are left to seed before cutting the grass in mid summer. Built by the architect James Pulham in 1832 from the rubble of the Norman Castle the folly forms an impressive gateway to the gardens. One side shows the remains of a wall since collapsed that joined with the summerhouse. Originally planted as a rockery the area has recently been re-landscaped to remove a line of unsightly conifers and many labour intensive beds. The work has opened up many new views. A spring that has never been known to dry up feeds the small pools down The larger of the two ponds has recently been cleared and restored to a Carp Pond, which we believe may have been it?s original purpose when the Norman Keep was built. The lower pond was fenced in 1996 and is managed as a wildlife area for birds and Drago The mature Apple trees are very important for wildlife, particularly birds that feed on insects during the summer and the wind falls in autumn. In spring a carpet of blue and yellow created by Scillas and Daffodils replaces the grass. With the arrival of William the Conqueror in 1066 his supporter Peter de Valoignes was given the manorial rights of Benington. His son Roger inherited it and built a stone keep in 1138, which was demolished in II77 by Henry II. The extensive earth works a One of the gardens highlights these huge borders are a wild unsophisticated mix of old fashioned plants. From May to September they constantly change, the best views depend on the time of day and position of the sun. Described by the RHS garden finder as The term Bailey refers to an area of a castle which is enclosed, in the gardens this is marked by a bank that runs around the car parks and formed the original boundary of the castle grounds. A short narrow path runs along what was once the inside of the Norman keep, planted with Hellebores, Snowdrops and winter flowing shrubs this is one of many hidden corners in the gardens. Raised beds have replaced large open plots to make working on the heavy clay soil easier in winter; vegetables are grown to supply the house throughout the year. The mature shrub beds are home to the gardens growing collection of named Snowdrops. the Lordship Manor Contemporary Sculptures

Cowslip Bank

Folly

Herbaceous Borders

Kitchen Garden

Lordship

Norman Keep

Old Bailey Walk

Orchard

Ponds

Rockery

Rose Garden

Shylock

Winter Garden